Returning Students - FAQs

Will faculty and my academic advisor automatically be informed about my disability and accommodation needs?

No. Once accommodations have been approved, DAS generates an accommodation letter.  It is the student’s responsibility to request the letter and submit to your faculty.  The student determines which classes and faculty members will receive these letters.  DAS does not share any diagnostic information.  It’s the student’s decision whether or not to share any disability information.

What if I want to “try it on my own” without accommodations for a semester?

You can do this. DAS will not force you to use accommodations.  However, keep in mind that you cannot go back, only forward so if you take an exam without accommodations and you receive a bad grade, you cannot retake the exam with accommodations.

You can, however, provide a copy of your Accommodation Notification Letter to your faculty and plan to use accommodations on the next exam in the class.  It is best to show your instructors your Accommodation Notification Letter within the first two weeks of the semester, even if you do not think you will be needing to use accommodations.  As the semester progresses, you may find the need to use your accommodations.

Does Emory give unlimited time on exams?

No, we do not approve unlimited time on exams.  However, based on the disability and need for exam accommodations, extra time may be appropriate.  The amount of time is typically 1 ½ times but some students may receive double time depending on the situation.

Are there waivers or course substitutions for required courses?

Some students wish to request a waiver or substitution because they think that their documented disability prevents them from completing a course.  This is most typically the case for foreign language requirements.  Emory will not waive a course requirement.  In order to request a substitution, the student much be in contact with DAS and the Associate Dean of the Individual’s School or College.  In the case of students with learning disabilities, their diagnosis and testing must clearly document the need for substitutions.  In some instances, DAS will write a letter of recommendation supporting the student’s request.  The College makes individual case-by-case decisions regarding these requests.

How do I get a note taker?

After you receive your accommodation letter, you must submit your notetaking request to DAS; and, share the notetaker announcement with your faculty member to begin the recruitment process.  If you hear an announcement in class and have not met with your faculty member to initiate recruitment, that note taker is not necessarily assigned to you.  

Typically this process is anonymous (i.e. the notetaker does not know who they are taking notes for); however, if you prefer to pick your own notetaker, you will have to send the notetaker directly to DAS (i.e. have your notetaker contact with the course name and instructor name).  You can also contact directly with the name of the notetaker that you have selected.

If one of my accommodations is an alternative textbook format, where do I go to receive these books?

You will need to complete the alternative textbook format request to; or, complete the online form.

Emory University uses the Alternative Media Access Center based at Georgia Tech as its primary source for electronic text or recorded materials.  It is important to submit your request as soon as possible to ensure that you have the alternative format that is needed by the beginning of the semester.

Without notice ahead of time a delay may occur in the distribution of these materials.

What if I need a sign language interpreter?

It is important to request interpreting and/or captioning services in a timely manner.  Typically, Emory contracts out for an interpreter and there are a number of institutions within this area using the same agencies.  Submit your interpreter request form as soon as possible.

Can I take a reduced course load?

For some students with disabilities this is a suggested accommodation.  It is important to discuss with your advisor and DAS for appropriate guidance.

Grievance Procedure

Emory University is committed to a policy of ensuring that no otherwise qualified individual with a disability is excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or subjected to discrimination in university programs or activities due to his or her disability. The university is fully committed to complying with all requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (section 504) and to providing equal educational opportunities to otherwise qualified students with disabilities.

Any university student who believes that he or she has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability, or has been denied access or accommodations required by law shall have the right to invoke the Grievance Procedure. This Grievance Procedure is designed to address disagreements or denials regarding requested services, accommodations, or modifications to university academic practices or requirements.

The Grievance Procedure is not intended and shall not supersede other university policies and procedures, which may exist for addressing alleged violations of ADA and/or Section 504, and other issues of concern for which separate university policies and procedures exist, including for example, grade appeals. Students are encouraged to consult with the Director of Accessibility Services or their respective designees regarding the most appropriate university policy or procedure to address a particular concern.

Informal Grievance Procedure

With respect to any grievance covered under this policy and as a prerequisite to initiating one of the formal grievance procedures, a student shall first attempt to resolve his or her complaint informally by meeting with the Director of OAS. If the grievance is not resolved informally, then the student shall have the right to invoke the appropriate formal grievance procedure detailed below.

Formal Grievance Procedure for the Denial of Academic Accommodations and Service

  1. A student with a disability, as defined by the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act, shall have the right to request that the Department of Equity and Inclusion review the denial of any requested academic accommodation or service.
  2. The Department of Equity and Inclusion shall assess the formal complaint and review all information necessary to render a written determination. If requested, the student shall supply any additional information and/or documentation as requested by the DEI designee. The DEI designee will issue a written Letter of Determination on the student’s Review Request.
  3. If the student disagrees with DEI’s determination, the student may seek a review with the provost. The student shall submit a written letter requesting a review of the complaint.
  4. The provost shall review the student’s letter, all pertinent records, and documentation. After completing the review, the provost will provide a letter of determination to the student.

Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Complaint

Although students are encouraged to attempt to resolve complaints pertaining to disabilities by using this Grievance Procedure, they have the right to file a complaint directly with the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR).

Individuals with Disabilities Policy

Emory University is committed to providing equal access to employment and educational opportunities for persons with disabilities.  Emory University recognizes that individuals with disabilities may need reasonable accommodations to have equally effective opportunities to participate in or benefit from university educational programs, services, and activities, and to have equal employment opportunities. Emory University shall adhere to all applicable federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines with respect to providing reasonable accommodations as necessary to afford equal employment opportunity and equal access to programs for qualified persons with disabilities. Applicants for admission and students requesting reasonable accommodations for a disability should contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 or Employees and applicants for employment should contact the Department of Accessibility Services at 404-727-9877 or  Visitors and participants in nonacademic programs should contact the sponsoring department or DAS at 404-727-9877. Questions regarding reasonable accommodations and/or discrimination on the basis of disability should be directed to the Director and ADA Compliance Officer in the Accessibility Services office.